Meal stretcher: Double the recipe and bring it for lunch or add it as an appetizer for a multi-course meal.
- 1 pound fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)
- 1 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups+ vegetable stock or water
- juice of 1/4 a lemon
- fine grain sea salt (as much as you need)
- Take the tops off the carrots (if they have tops) and give them a good scrub
- Cut them into 1-inch segments and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté for a few minutes or until the onions start to get translucent
- Add the stock and carrots and bring to a gentle boil
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender - longer if your carrot pieces ended up larger. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes.
- Puree with a hand blender then stir in the lemon juice
- Add salt to taste and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil